Ukraine's largest air carrier, Ukraine International Airlines (UIA), has announced it is ready to transport vaccines against COVID-19.
"UIA always takes a proactive position and expresses its readiness to transport the vaccines both to Ukraine and around the world," according to the company's press service.
Read alsoCOVID-19 vaccination in Ukraine to start in mid-February – Health minister"Since the beginning of 2021, the active stage of vaccination has begun all over the world, which will tend to increase throughout the current year. Given the peculiarities of compliance with the required temperature regimes, transportation of the vaccine by air is the fastest and most reliable method of delivery. In order to ensure safe delivery of vaccines, UIA has prepared Boeing 737 and Boeing 767 aircraft to transport the vaccines as cargo," reads the report.
It is noted UIA has transported 870 tonnes of medical cargo since the implementation of quarantine measures.
COVID-19 vaccine for Ukraine
- In February-March 2021, Ukraine expects the delivery of a vaccine against COVID-19.
- The first batch of a vaccine via the COVAX Facility will include 8 million doses, which will be enough to vaccinate 4 million people (two shots per person required). First to get vaccinated will be healthcare workers, the elderly, and seriously ill patients.
- On December 24, 2020, Health Minister Maksym Stepanov said that his ministry was working out a plan to increase the COVAX vaccine quota from 8 million to 16 million doses.
- On December 30, Ukraine signed a contract with China's Sinovac for the supply of 1.9 million doses of a coronavirus vaccine.
- On January 13, Stepanov said the ministry plans to strike new deals soon for the supply of vaccines against COVID-19.
UIA was founded in 1992. It is a 100% privately owned company. The airline connects Ukraine with capitals and key cities of Europe, Asia, America, Africa, the Middle East, and CIS countries and provides connections with its international partners' flights. Boryspil Airport is the base airport for UIA.